Class Absences & Final Exam Rescheduling
We are pleased to share with you the progress that has been made regarding implementation of the updated Class Attendance Policy.
The University Approved Absence Office (UAAO) has been established within the Dean of Students (DOS) office, and will lead the on-going effort to fully implement and provide clarity on the Policy. Students who have absences that fall under the Class Attendance Policy should submit their request via the online form at uaao.unc.edu. As a reminder, the Class Attendance Policy only applies to University Approved Absences, and instructors will work with students in meeting attendance needs that are not considered University Approved Absences.
While the UAAO has been established, you may still receive communication from the approving offices named in the policy, including DOS, EOC, ARS, as well as the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes regarding NCAA sport participation.
For more information about the Class Attendance Policy and/or the University Approved Absence Office, including the link to make a request for a University Approved Absence, FAQs, resources, and expectations, please go to: uaao.unc.edu. General questions can be emailed to email@example.com.
Absences During Final Exams
The University Approved Absence Office and Dean of Students office DO NOT issue University Approved Absences for final exams. DO NOT SUBMIT AN ONLINE REQUEST FOR UNIVERSITY APPROVED ABSENCES FOR FINAL EXAMS.
If you will miss a final exam due to a medical or mental health concern, family or personal emergency, religious observance, or exam schedule conflict, please follow the instructions below and communicate directly with your instructor to schedule a make-up.
To change an exam date due to a medical or mental health concern:
Visit a CHS or CAPS provider to be considered for the “Excused Examination List” OR visit a non-CHS or CAPS provider and fax documentation of your visit to CHS Health Information (919-966-0616). Follow next steps given by CHS or CAPS.
- Mental Health: Counseling and Psychological Services
- Hours: Monday - Friday 8AM–5PM
- Phone: (919) 966-3658
- Illness or Injury: Campus Health
- Hours: Monday - Friday 8AM - 5PM
- Phone: (919) 966-2281
To change an exam date due to personal or family emergency:
Visit Academic Advising during drop-in hours as soon as possible.
- Academic Related/Other Non Medical Issues: Academic Advising
- Phone: (919) 966-5116
- Drop-in hours are available for quick meetings and are intended for brief guidance on matters such as withdrawing, dropping/adding, course approval forms, and other topics that can be handled in five-to-ten minute sessions. See Drop In Hours Schedule
- Chat: Advisors are available on chat service Monday through Friday from 4:00 pm until 5:00 pm, except for University holidays. You should use this service for general questions about policies and procedures only.
To change an exam date due to 3 or more exams within 24 hours, or two exams at the same time:
Submit a request for a final exam excuse online (deadline will be posted on this request form).
To change an exam date due to religious observance:
Contact and meet with an Academic Dean in your department as soon as possible.