Skip to Content
Home/About Us/Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are many of the questions we receive from students and parents. If you do not find the answer you need, please feel free to contact us at: 

Veteran Resources 

How does a student request university approved absences?

The University Approved Absence Office (UAAO) issues University Approved Absences (UAA). To learn more about the UAAO and how to get an approved absence, please visit

How do I apply for the Student Emergency Fund?

Read the requirements and complete the online Student Emergency Fund Application.

I need forms completed regarding my conduct status at UNC.

Often called a disciplinary record request, at UNC this is called a Dean's Certification and is completed by the Office of Student Conduct.

Do I need an appointment?

No. Our office has drop-in hours which can be accessed by visiting A staff member will be able to assist you in our Zoom meeting room Monday through Friday, 9:30 A.M. – 11:30 A.M & 1:30 P.M.-3:30 P.M. when classes are in session. Drop-in meetings are intended to be about 15-20 minutes and are intended to address immediate concerns by answering questions and providing resources and information. 

However, if you would like to make an appointment, you can do so by visiting Appointments can be scheduled for 30-45 minutes and are intended to address more complex concerns. Appointments will be offered using a virtual meeting platform or by phone depending on your preference. 

Where is the Dean of Students office located?

We are located in SASB North Suite 1106 and open from 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.

Who should I speak with regarding Student Veterans?

Carolina Veterans Resource Center

Where do I get a Final Exam Excuse?

The Dean of Students office does not issue final exam excuses. Visit the Final Exam Excuse page on the Academic Advising website.

I've graduated from UNC and having trouble with my email account.

The links below contain the directions to redirecting your email address and/or setting up an alumni email account. Please account the UNC Help Desk for further assistance.

I want to withdraw from my classes or cancel the semester. What do I do?

There are several ways to separate from the University. These include medical withdrawal, academic withdrawal, retroactive withdrawal, and cancellation. 

All students: View the Withdrawals & Cancellations web page on the University Registrar website for policies relating to cancellation and withdrawal.

Undergraduate students:

Graduate students: View the Withdrawal from the University web page on the University Handbook website.

Sharing and printing options:
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram