Food insecurity refers to limited, inconsistent, or uncertain availability of safe and nutritionally adequate foods; or the limited, inconsistent, or uncertain access to such food. The Basic Needs Task Force’s goal is to ensure that every member of the Carolina community is food secure, meaning they have access to nutritious options without barriers.
- Carolina Cupboard – On-campus food pantry that provides food and some personal toiletries at no cost to the Carolina community who are facing food insecurity. The Carolina Cupboard is located in Avery Residence Hall. For additional information please visit their website. You can also contact them at [email protected].
- CJ's Cupboard – On-campus food pantry that is accessible to members of the UNC Gillings School of Public Health. They are located in 2210 McGavran-Greenberg Hall. For additional information please visit their website.
- Jessica's Cupboard – On-campus pantry for Nursing students only. For additional information, contact the Office of Student Affairs for the School of Nursing.
- SNAP sign-up (coming soon)
- Meal Swipe Program (coming soon)
- Edible Campus UNC – A program that has created a production garden in the heart of campus located directly behind Davis Library, as well as 8 satellite garden sites throughout campus. Gardens are filled with vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc. The produce is free for anyone in the community. For additional information click here.
- Community resources - there are several resources that exist in the community for individuals who can benefit from additional food resources.
If you or someone you know is experiencing food insecurity, please fill out a care referral form and someone will be in touch.