Events and Programming for Student Veteran Success
Boot Print To Heel Print Orientation Program
The Dean of Students and the Carolina Veterans Resource Center is proud to continue to offer the Boot Print to Heel Print orientation program designed specifically for military-affiliated students each August. Newly enrolled, readmitted, or deferred enrollment students who are active duty, veteran, reservist or National Guard are strongly encouraged to attend this orientation. It an opportunity for student veterans to learn how to utilize all the great resources that are available to aid in their success at Carolina, to build skills that are needed in the classroom, to connect with other military-affiliated students on campus, and meet members of the campus-wide Veterans Resource Team.
Join us at the CVRC for Taco Tuesdays! These events are an opportunity to meet and connect with your fellow military connected students and enjoy some good food at the same time. We also often feature additional programming on these Tuesdays such as academic workshops, Learning Center, Writing Center, and Career Services workshops, a self-defense class taught by UNC Police, and special on and off campus guests for those who are interested. Our next Taco Tuesday is September 27th, and our friends from the BeAM Lab Makers Spaces will be joining us. Come enjoy some good food and fun crafting! you can RSVP here!
Veterans Week Programming
The CVRC, in conjunction with the Carolina Student Veterans of America and UNC's ROTC programs, offers a number of programs and events during Veterans Week each year. Among the planned events this year are:
- CVRC Open House all week.
- Military Connected Women's Wellness Breakfast featuring Amy Rodriguez, Army vet and PA with UNC Student Health Services at 9 AM on Tuesday 11/08 at the CVRC. (This event is an approved Campus Life Experience for the IDEAS general education requirements.) RSVP here!
- Lecture and Q&A with Michael R. Rodriguez retired Green Beret, now President and CEO of the Global War on Terrorism Memorial Foundation at 7 PM on Wednesday 11/09 at the Carolina Union Auditorium. (This event is an approved Campus Life Experience for the IDEAS general education requirements.)
- Ruck For Hunger: CSVA/ROTC food drive benefiting the Carolina Cupboard. Last year with the help of 15 different campus partners we were able to donate over 250 items to the Carolina Cupboard that were used to assist needy UNC students. We plan to do even more this year!
- Military Appreciation Football Game tailgating and on-field opening ceremony (CSVA and ROTC).
Red White and Carolina Blue Graduation Ceremony
Each year, the Dean of Students and the Carolina Veterans Resource Center invites all military-affiliated graduates to the Red, White, and Carolina Blue Graduation (RWCB) where veterans, active duty service members, National Guard, Reservists, and commissioning ROTC cadets are celebrated. The program includes the presentation of colors and our National Anthem, remarks from students and administrators, and the presentation of Military Honor Cords. Highlights of our May 2022 ceremony can be found in our newsletter here.